The first season in year 5 is finally here, Operation Void Edge has landed into Rainbow Six Siege today and brings with it the two newest operators Jordanian Defender Oryx and Dutch Attacker Iana.
Operation Void Edge also introduces a reworked Oregon map, a host of gameplay updates and improvements, and a special Lara Croft Elite Set for Ash. (Hubba hubba) As usual Year 5 Pass owners get their hands on the new Operators now, and everyone else can grind up some Renown or simply buy some R6 Credits with actual money.
Iana, the Dutch attacker is all about deception and recon. (typical Dutch) Her Gemini Replicator is the gadget allowing Iana to truly flex, deploying a fully controllable holographic copy of herself. The copy looks, sounds, and moves like Iana, but it can’t do any of that fancy shit like shoot, melee, or use secondary gadgets. Do remember though that while Iana is using it, her actual body is left defenseless, so be smart on knowing when to use it. I always said there are 2 types of people I can’t stand in the world, 1) People who are intolerable of other peoples races and 2) the Dutch!
Oryx, the new Jordanian Defender, just roams like a champion, with speed and power being his main charm. His signature move is the Remah Dash, is an ability that gives him a short burst of speed. Additionally, Oryx has the ability to jump…. (because no highly trained operators actually know how to do that) but yes jump up and peek or climb through broken hatches, allowing him to quickly navigate maps, which lets be honest, that will be extremely helpful.
Void Edge also includes a complete rework of one of Siege’s original maps, Oregon. The redesign is here to create more opportunities for attacking and defending bomb sites. An additional staircase to the basement freezer opens up new access points and rotation possibilities, while the big tower now connects directly to the kitchen. I always felt like this map was fine, be I guess it’s nice to spice things up from time to time!
Additional gameplay updates out now with Operation Void Edge include:
- Barricade debris consistency: partially breaking a barricade with a weapon or a melee hit will now create much smaller debris.
- Attacker’s drone spawn: the drone will now always spawn on the same side of the site as the one the player first chose their Operator to spawn from.
- Player Hub Changes: the Play Section is getting revamped.
- Lesion and Twitch changes: Lesion will no longer be able to see his Gu Mines through obstructions, and when an opposing Operator steps on a Gu, there will no longer be any initial damage. However, each tick’s damage has been increased from four to six. On Twitch’s side, her Shock Drone will now start with three shots, but it will have a cooldown. Its firing power has also been reduced to one point of damage.
- Operator price decrease: Mira and Jackal’s prices will now be 10,000 Renown or 240 R6 Credits; Lion and Finka’s are down to 15,000 Renown or 350 R6 Credits; and Mozzie and Gridlock’s costs will decrease to 20,000 Renown or 480 R6 Credits.
- Void Edge Weapon skins: Three new seasonal weapon skins will be available this season, each with their own unique style: the sleek Saber Carbe, the playful Clog Dance, and the colorful River Scale.
- Year 5 Pass: The Year 5 pass includes access to six new Year 5 Operators and six new exclusive headgears and uniforms for them. Players will also get the same VIP perks as always. Year 4 Pass owners who renew their Pass for Year 5 will also receive 600 R6 Credits, as well as two Legendary and three Epic Alpha Packs.
Rainbow Six Siege is available on PS4, Xbox One, PC, and included in a UPLAY+ subscription.